Positions for Fair time, seasonal employment include the following:
- Ticket Sellers - This position is responsible for the selling of gate admissions or parking. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
- Ticket Takers - This position is responsible for collection of Fair admission and verification of appropriate vehicular mirror hanger. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Barksdale's State Fair Cookies
- Cookie Production: This is position will assist in the manufacturing process of making cookies, utilizing commercial baking equipment and following food safety guidelines. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Food & Beverage Server: This position will aide in the fulfillment of cookies, ice cream, and beverage orders while adhering to food safety guidelines. Applicants must be 14 years of age or older.
- Cashier: This position will handle all order transactions on a cash register and be responsible for balancing their cash drawer daily. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
- Ticket Sellers – This position is responsible for the selling of Giant Slide tickets. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
- Giant Slide Worker – This position is responsible for helping customers safely ride the slide. Applicants must be 14 years of age or older.
- Thrill Park Ambassador – This position will assist customers at the thrill park kiosks to purchase ride and game credits
- Thrill park redemption associate – This position is responsible for redeeming of on-line thrill park purchases
- Seasonal Maintenance – This position is responsible for maintaining the grounds (mowing, string trimming, pulling garbage, etc.), setting up the grounds for summer events and the Fair, and barn clean outs. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
- Parking Attendant – This position is responsible for directing vehicles to open spots in parking lots. Applicants must be 14 years of age or older.
- The Communications Department is responsible for the set up and maintenance of the Iowa State Fair’s communication processes which include telephones, internet and public address systems all year round. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, assisting with set-up/installation of phones, assisting with the set-up/installation of network equipment, assisting with minor phone and networking repairs, assisting with the installation and maintenance of public address systems, answering calls for communication needs efficiently, assisting with maintaining accurate records of orders, other duties as assigned. Also, have proper dress, grooming and appearance, have knowledge of and enforce Iowa State Fair and Admissions policies, be responsible and uphold the Iowa State Fair brand and image, provide exceptional customer service to all Fair staff and attendees. Requirements: 18 years or older, be willing to learn new skills, good customer service, ability to listen and communicate effectively, ability to work in various weather conditions including rain and heat, have reliable transportation.
Concessions, Exhibits & Thrill Parks Assistant
- The Iowa State Fair is seeking a Concessions, Exhibits & Thrill Parks assistant for summer 2022. Applicants need to be comfortable with Microsoft Access, math and accounting situations with demonstrated excellence in customer service. The assistant will work with the department in managing exhibits, concessions and midway operations. Qualifications include ability to multi-task, detail oriented, fast learner, well organized, ability to work efficiently and accurately with money, ability to maintain confidentiality of financial information, displays high standards of ethical conduct, exhibits honesty and integrity, displays team management skills, ability to handle a variety of assignments, meet deadlines and work well under pressure. Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.; extended hours and days required during Fair time.
Campground Office Assistant
- The Iowa State Fair is seeking a Campground Office Assistant for the 2022 Fair. Responsibilities include general camping related office and clerical work. (Camp site not provided.) Duties include guest relations, camper registration, staffing and other duties as assigned. See job description for additional duties and requirements.