Iowa State Fair Food Healthy Choices
In conjunction with Iowa's Healthiest State Initiative, The Des Moines Register and Iowa State University, we have come up with a list of healthy Fair food options. This list is based on the USDA guidelines for healthy meals with school lunches:
- Entrées less than 600 Calories.
- Side dishes less than 300 Calories.
- Less than 35 percent of Calories from total fat.
- Less than 10 percent of Calories from saturated fat.
- Less than 35 percent of Calories from sugar.
- Less than 1000 mg of sodium
There were plenty of healthy choices available at the 2013 Fair:
- Rib Shack Cowboy, a mix of cowboy beans, brisket or pork, coleslaw, a signature chip and barbecue sauce in a spice-flavored waffle cone, at the Rib Shack (south of the Riley Stage)
- Shrimp Corndog, three fresh shrimp dipped in corndog batter, fried to golden perfection and topped with a sweet jalapeno glaze, at the Po Boy Stand (Rock Island Avenue)
- Fruit on-a-stick with a yogurt dipping sauce at The Salad Bowl (west balcony of the Agriculture Building; Cultural Center)
- Salad on-a-stick at The Salad Bowl (west balcony of the Agriculture Building; Cultural Center) – an iceberg lettuce wedge with carrots and tomato served kabob-style, served with dressing.
- Baked potatoes and corn-on-the-cob at Westmoreland (south of the Anne and Bill Riley Stage) and Cattlemen's Beef Quarters (south side of Walnut Square)
- Salads at various locations: Cattlemen's Beef Quarters (south side of Walnut Square), Campbell's (Elwell Family Food Center), Diamond Jack's (west of the Livestock Pavilion), Doc's Bud Tent/Pizza Parlor (north side of Grand Avenue), The Salad Bowl (west balcony of the Agriculture Building; Cultural Center), The Greek Garden (north of the Varied Industries Building and southeast of the Administration Building), K's Concession (on Triangle east of the Administration Building) and Steer and Stein (east of the Grandstand)
- Sandwich wraps at The Salad Bowl (west balcony of the Agriculture Building and Cultural Center Courtyard) and at Three Sisters (on Grand Concourse in front of the Varied Industries Building)
- Grilled chicken sandwiches at various locations: Barksdales Concessions (in front of VI Bldg), Campbell’s Concessions (Elwell), Stockman’s Inn (Outside South West Corner of Cattle Barn), B&S Concessions (west side of Riley Stage) and Dawghouse Concessions (north Side of Walk on Triangle)
- Grilled turkey sandwiches at Turkey Time Concessions (south side of walk on Triangle)
- Fresh fruit, melon and berry cups and shishkabobs at various locations: Beattie's Melon Patch (west of the Giant Slide), Stockman's Inn (southwest corner of the Cattle Barn), Benoit Concessions (on Rock Island Avenue), Iowa Orchards (Agriculture Building), Iowa Fruit & Vegetable Growers Association (west side of the Agriculture Building)
- Caramel apple slices at Applishus (locations: east canopy of the Varied Industries Building; north side of Walnut Square; and Cultural Center Courtyard )
- Veggie corn dogs at Veggie Table (north of the Varied Industries Building)
- Turkey tenderloins at the Iowa Turkey Federation (west of Anne and Bill Riley Stage) – the turkey breast sandwich has less than 5 grams of fat and is low in calories
- Pork chops on-a-stick at the Iowa Pork Producers Association (main location: east end of Grand Avenue; satellite locations: east of the main stand and on Rock Island Avenue west of the Livestock Pavilion)
- Peanut Butter and Jelly on a Stick– A tasty skewered version of this childhood favorite with grapes in between the sandwich pieces. The Salad Bowl located in the upper balcony of John Deere Agriculture Building.
- Green bean or potato bowl at Dawghouse Concessions (north side of walk on Triangle)
- Tomatoes at Hardenbrook Concessions (southwest of the Agriculture Building)
- Carrots with ranch at the Iowa Fruit & Vegetable Growers Association (west side of the Agriculture Building)
- Dried fruit log at the Iowa Fruit & Vegetable Growers Association (west side of the Agriculture Building)
Check back in the summer for updates on healthy food at the 2014 Fair.