Iowa State Fair Food
The Iowa State Fair boasts nearly 200 food stands and more than 60 delectable items available on-a-stick.
Two Iowa Celiac support groups combined efforts to develop a list of offerings for those dealing with food allergies or health related issues. Check out a list of the Gluten-free food options.
New Food at the Fair
Prior to the 2014 Fair, eight concessionaires submitted tasty new value-priced items in this year’s New Food Contest. Five new foods beat out the rest for the finalist slots. Fairgoers can try these $3 offerings along with countless other foods during this year’s Fair.
Check out the top five value-priced foods from the 2014 contest, and be sure to vote for your favorite during this year’s Fair:
- Brownie Blitz: a delicious combination of cream cheese brownie bits, whipped cream, chocolate syrup and coconut (available at Bauders Ice Cream on the southwest side of the Agriculture Building)
- Caprese Salad On-a-Stick: a mouthwatering skewer of cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinaigrette (available at the Salad Bowl in the Agriculture Building and Cultural Center Courtyard)
- Smoked Brisket and Bacon Mac N Cheese: macaroni topped with chunks of smoked brisket and apple wood smoked bacon and tossed in a creamy three cheese sauce (available at the Rib Shack in Walnut Square)
- Three Buck Bowl: two crispy potato skins filled with fluffy scrambled eggs, fresh salsa and shredded cheddar cheese (available at Steer N Stein on the Grand Concourse)
- Funnel Cake Sticks: vanilla, chocolate or strawberry funnel cake batter, served on-a-stick and topped with icing (available at Arnold’s Concessions on Grand Avenue across from Hy-Vee Health and First Aid)
Voting for this year's Food Contest finalists will take place from 6 a.m. on August 7 through 8 a.m. on August 11. Fairgoers can vote for their favorite by scanning a QR code at the respective vendor locations and/or by paper ballot at the information booth located on the front porch of the Administration Building. The winning item will be announced on Tuesday, August 12.
Leave some room for these additional value-priced entries:
- Zombie Cones: shaved ice cones available in sour cherry, blueberry, grape, orange, lime or bubble gum flavors and topped with a gummy eyeball or sour worm (available at Cherie Schler Concessions at the northwest corner of the Putney Family Cattle Barn)
- Red Velvet Flurry: chunks of red velvet cake mixed with vanilla ice cream and cream cheese frosting (available at Ford Concessions in Walnut Square)
- Jumbo Toasted Marshmallow On-a-stick: homemade jumbo marshmallows in vanilla bean, caramel, chocolate or maple bacon flavors, toasted to perfection and served on-a-stick (available at Beaverdale Confections in Shoppers’ Mart)
Other new foods this year include:
- Fair-berry Fair Square (available at the Fair Square stand at the northwest corner of the Administration Building)
- Pineapple Inside Out Funnel Cake (available at The Best Around Concessions in the Triangle east of the Administration Building)
- Chicken Fried Bacon (available at Benoit Concessions west the Varied Industries Building)
- Chocolate Covered Chunky Bacon Maple Nougat On-a-stick (available at Dipped in Chocolate on the southwest side of the Livestock Pavilion)
- Chocolate Covered Cookies N Cream On-a-stick (available at Dipped in Chocolate on the southwest side of the Livestock Pavilion)
- Mexican Grilled Corn On-the-cob (available at Steak & Shakeup on the southwest corner of the Livestock Pavilion and the east end of the Varied Industries Building)
- Tater Dog On-a-stick (available at Brenda Smith Concessions west of the Riley Stage)