News & Publications
2021 TRAINING / NEWS FLASH
Each Information Volunteer is required to review the following prior to scheduled shift:
1) Volunteer Training - Good to Know
(Describes opening/closing of booths, responsibilities
2) Volunteer Training - Competitive Events
(Everything from pigs to pies)
3) Volunteer Training - Concessions & Thrill Parks
(Shares new foods, pictures, new Concessionaires and
4) Volunteer Training - Entertainment
5) Volunteer Training - Improvements
(Lots of exciting new things ... yes the Giant Slide has a
6) Volunteer Training - Security & Parking
(Parking changes, Magnetometers, Gate Updates, etc.)
7) Volunteer Training - Tickets / Deals
Items of importance/corrections will be posted here that may affect the information shared with patrons (fair-goers).
- ALL First Year Volunteers must have their picture taken prior to their Volunteer shifts. Please get a "Badge Request Form" from Volunteer Office prior to going to the Print Shop located on the fairgrounds.
- The Daily/Pocket Guides are distributed at the gates as well as the Information Booths. We will also have the 11-day insert at the booths/houses in case a Fair-goers want to plan their entire stay at the fair.
- PLEASE NOTE: BLUE RIBBON KIDS CLUB is NOT associated with the Blue Ribbon Foundation. Link for detailed information
SOAPBOX Schedule: This link is the Des Moines Register Political Soapbox that will be updated with any changes.
This link details the daily activities on the Grand Concourse. For additional information search under "Entertainment --> Fair Schedules" filter by location of Grand Concourse.
Will not be at the 2021 Fair.
Private Parties: More information coming closer to the Fair.
Thrill Zone Parks-2021:
Thrill Zone - (located north of Gate 11 (Grand Gate) and west of DNR Building)
Thrill Town - (east of Gate 10 and directly north of the Jacobson Center Lawn)
Thrill Ville - (located between the Grandstand and Ye Old Mill, the old Midway area)
Attractions - New:
Discovery Garden (located southwest of Agriculture Building, north of Pella Plaza)
Will Call (Credentials) at Volunteer Office - Volunteer Office does NOT have Grandstand Will-Call tickets.
REMINDER: Grandstand Will-Call tickets are at the Admin Building ticket office.
...University Lot is the name given to the past SIMs parking lot. Gate 3 provides entry to both permit and public parking.
...Lot C only issued for workers in Elwell.
...Trams (Blue Line Parking Shuttle) runs daily to/from University Lot will begin at 5:30am and end at 12:00 (midnight).
... Blue Line Parking Shuttle has 6 routine stops and will stop at Gates 13 & 15 for entry to the Fair.
...First Aid locations remain in the same location. Hy-Vee Halth and First Aid is located east of the Agriculture Building.
...A satellite station is located at the Horner Service Center just west of the Administration Building.
...The Des Moines Fire Department EMS will be providing medical services.
REMINDER: Please refrain from drinking alcoholic beverages while volunteering and when wearing your volunteer attire. THANKS!